Friday 23 October 2009

Feeding my flame



Pocahontas paints with all the colours of the wind, James Turrell paints with light.

I love what he does, like Richard Serra or Olafur Eliasson, his works make you feel involved and really play with perception.

I remember trying to figure that out in high school, "painting with light". Turrell himself articulates it better, of course, for Wallpaper: "Usually we just use light to illuminate things, but I like the “thingness” of light. This idea of the luminous filling emptiness, like there is something there to touch is also something I like to work with".

Relevant bonus - he studied synesthesia.

From tomorrow until May, there is an exhibition of Turrell's work at the Kunstmuseum in Wolfsburg (lovely website - their online shop is a bit inspired).

No comments: